This year’s theme for World Environment Day, on Tuesday 5th June 2018, (and also Earth Day which fell on 22nd April) is ‘beat plastic pollution’. Sunrise chose to focus on the startling and catastrophic toll our use of plastic is taking on our planet and, in particular, on the seas and oceans, home to delicate balances of species and plant life.
But as a mobility device manufacturer, Sunrise Medical (who design, manufacture and distribute Quickie wheelchairs, Sterling scooters and JAY seating (to name a few)) doesn’t believe one day is enough in the fight to protect the environment and strives to embrace sustainability and make it part of their business every day, not just once a year.
Sunrise Medical’s commitment to being green is detailed in their environmental mission statement, which reads: “As a long-standing environmentally conscious organisation, Sunrise Medical is committed to environmental responsibility and our mission is to further promote green thinking throughout the global organisation and our supply base.”
Here are just some of Sunrise Medical’s environmentally friendly achievements:
- Sunrise Medical’s facilities in Germany, Fresno (California, USA), Tijuana (Mexico), Spain, Poland, the UK and their European Distribution Centre have all maintained their ISO 14001 certifications.
- Sunrise Germany also retained their certification for ISO50001 Energy Management Systems.
- Sunrise UK received certification for the third year for sending zero waste to landfill
- Globally Sunrise facilities have made significant strides in reducing pollution and conserving natural resources.
- In the Sunrise Medical German facility plastic bubble wrap, bags and tapes have been completely replaced with recycled paper alternatives, as a result we have been able to eliminate a volume of 615m3 of plastic materials.
- The Sunrise Medical facility in Mexico has reduced its energy consumption by 20,000kwH (that’s how much electricity two residential homes use in a year)
- The Sunrise Medical facility in California has recycled more than 129,276kg over the past six months alone – at that rate they are on track to surpass last year’s recycling total by 14%.
Sunrise Medical firmly believes that choices made should make a positive step towards protecting the planet. In their own words thouh, they believe they will continue to improve.